Sexual trauma has long-lasting effects that can impact the way you see the world. Whether you experienced a single traumatic event or years of abusive treatment, the impact can be profound. Rapid Resolution Therapy can help you clear your mind of the trauma and therefore clear the emotional feelings that you experience thinking about the trauma.
The Impact of Trauma
As the brain develops, there are certain key periods of development. When sexual trauma occurs during these crucial periods, it creates a long-lasting imprint. It’s very common to still be affected by it years or even decades later.
Trauma may significantly interfere with your relationships and your sense of self as well as the level of peace and comfort you experience. Some of the most common signs or symptoms of unresolved sexual trauma include the following:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which may manifest in extreme fear, insomnia, irritability, agitation, or hyper-vigilance
- Emotional detachment or fear of getting too close to someone
- Feelings of guilt
- Loss of pleasure in activities
It’s not difficult to see how these behavioral effects could impact your life and your relationships. Without intentional efforts to resolve the trauma, you will likely continue to feel its effects throughout your life.
How Can Therapy Resolve the Effects of Sexual Trauma?
Sexual trauma is never your fault. Unfortunately, many people who have experienced sexual trauma tend to blame themselves for the experience which leaves them carrying a cloud of negative effects into their everyday lives. Sexual trauma is not the kind of issue that simply goes away if you ignore it. In fact, the opposite is often true.
Traumatic events tend to replay in your mind over and over again, interrupting your thoughts, your focus, and the life you are attempting to live. You may ruminate over the bad things that happened to you. Even though it may have happened to you many years ago, constantly thinking about it makes it feel as though it recently happened.
Rapid Resolution Therapy can clear your mind so you can experience peace, clarity, and a clearing of the traumatic event. You no longer have to be haunted by things that happened to you in the distant past and you can move forward with your life.
Facts and Myths about Rapid Resolution Therapy
Rapid Resolution Therapy (RRT) is a therapeutic method designed to produce maximum effectiveness in the shortest amount of time. Unlike traditional talk therapy, which can take a long time to work through an issue, Rapid Resolution Therapy is highly focused and targeted, enabling you to quickly deal with your trauma. However, some people may be unfamiliar with this method. Here’s what RRT is and is not.
- RRT is not the same as hypnosis. Your therapist in RRT does act as a guide, in terms of helping you replace and eliminate old traumatic memories. But you remain fully conscious during the entire session.
- RRT works much more quickly than other treatments. Most patients can see results in as few as 1 to 6 sessions.
- You do not have to relive the traumatic experience. Traditional talk therapy may take months to work through traumas, essentially reliving very painful experiences. With RRT, it does not have to “get worse before it gets better.” It often starts getting better right away.
- RRT does not require you to “move on” from the trauma or forgive the person who violated you in order to be effective.
- Once your trauma is gone, it’s usually gone for good.
Benefits of Therapy for Sexual Trauma
Many people were raised in environments where they weren’t allowed to express their feelings or didn’t know how. Traumatic events, especially sexual traumas, may have been taboo subjects. Because the subject was off-limits to talk about, it may have created a sense of misplaced shame. Just because you didn’t know how to talk about a subject or felt uncomfortable doing so does not mean that you must keep it locked up inside forever. Therapy helps you release it, once and for all. Shame and pain cannot survive in the light.
When you are cleared of the sexual trauma, you will feel clarity and a new vitality for life. Rapid Resolution Therapy can free you from feelings of shame, guilt, blame, powerlessness, and helplessness. When you’re free of these limiting beliefs, you become freer and more able to make the most of your potential.